Roles are specializations assigned to characters which provide resource gathering assistance when you 'hang out' with them. A role can be selected for a character after the player levels up their friendship for the first time.
You can change a character's role by crafting Training Manuals and gifting them to the various characters.
- Digger: Your companion can find more items when digging.
- Gardening: Your companion can find more crops when harvesting.
- Fishing: Your companion can find more fish when fishing.
- Foraging: Your companion can find more items when harvesting wild crops and fruits.
- Mining: Your companion can find more minerals when mining.
Hanging Out with a Villager while doing an Activity aligned with their Role creates a chance for the Companion to drop extra resources. Assigning additional Villagers to each Role will increase the bonus resource chance for all Characters with that Role.
The bonus chance of a resource when gathering while hanging out with a Villager with the matching Role is:
Bonus Chance = Base Chance + Active Friend Level + Inactive Friend Level
- Base Chance: 20% for Gardening, and 25% for all other roles.
- Active Friend Level: 3.5% per friendship level of the Villager hanging out, up to 35% at level 10 friendship
- Inactive Friend Level: 1% per friendship level of all friends not hanging out, up to 10% each friend at level 10 friendship
This means bonus resources will be generated 100% of the time while hanging out if there are 5 Villagers assigned that same role (6 if the role is Gardening).
Roles do not impact the number of items yielded from removing spawning items. For example, Hanging Out with a Mining Companion will not yield more than the standard number of Stones when clearing Small Rocks.
Hanging Out with a Villager while doing an Activity aligned with their Role will reward additional Friendship XP. There is only one preferred action associated with each Role, and it rewards twice (2x) the default value (with the one exception of Failing Fishing). This preferred action is denoted by a triple-star animation above the Villager's head when each Activity action occurs (similar to a Gift), whereas a standard action only shows a single pink star animation.
|Icon||Activity||Friendship Reward Value
|Friendship Reward Value|
(Role Aligns with Activity)
|Digging||20 per Hole dug||40 per Hole dug if Digging Role|
|Fishing|| 4 - Failure
150 - Success
| 20 - Failure if Fishing Role
300 - Success if Fishing Role
|Foraging||30 per Harvest action||60 per Harvest action if Foraging Role|
|Harvesting Crops||15 per Harvest action||30 per Harvest action if Gardening Role|
|Mining||150 per Rock Spot mined to completion||300 per Rock Spot mined to completion if Mining Role|
|Digging Training Manual|
|Fishing Training Manual|
|Foraging Training Manual|
|Mining Training Manual|
|Gardening Training Manual|